December 23, 2010

Rugalach

Last year my sis and I made these for the first time.  I actually don't remember having them before which really surprises me.  I say this because my mom was supervising our cookie baking last year and when these came out of the oven she had one bite and exclaimed, "These are just like Bubbe's!!"  Bubbe's?  [Bubbe is my great-grandma]

Turns out she made killer rugalach!  Who knew?  Clearly, not me since I picked the recipe cuz they just sounded  wonderful.  Fast forward to this year.  I emailed my grandma and her sister, my great-aunt Sandy, to see if either of them had Bubbe's rugalach recipe.  No luck sadly.  Aunt Sandy did send me her favorite recipe of Rugalach by Ina Garten.  Well, anything is good from her usually.

She didn't disappoint!  Turns out you can make ahead and freeze them. Instead of putting cookies into the oven put them loaded on a cookie sheet into the freezer.  After a couple hours when the dough is hard throw them in a freezer zip-lock.  When you feel like a cookie throw as many as you like into the preheated 350 degree oven.  They take a little longer, but hey you didn't have to make cookies to them fresh baked.  YUM!

Here's Ina Garten's recipe from Food Network. I followed it to the letter.  Twice!  In my ultimate wisdom I doubled the recipe.  Whatever you do, DON'T double the recipe!

Before rolling into cookies

Pre-bake (forgot flash boo hoo)

No comments:

Post a Comment