November 23, 2010

Chili and Tea? Couldn't be...

First off another SNOW DAY!!  C's school was cancelled and I worked from home again so all day was Daddy Daycare for Z.  He did an awesome job!  Thanks QT.

My dad is visiting and is super fit.  He walked up this enormous hill, ice and crazy sledders and all, and stopped at the store and picked up some knock-off Baileys for me.  Um Yum!  Love you Dad!  Ok, I texted him while he was out to ask him to get it but still way awesome of him to get it for me.  Lucky for me C just made another pot of coffee so "Baileys" and coffee it was.  Yippee.

Fast forward a couple hours and my throat is scratchy and I feel like a cup of tea.  Chai tea.  hmmmm how would "Baileys" taste in Chai?  Ummmmm Amazing!  YES indeed I have, in fact, died and gone to heaven.  I think I like it better than in coffee.  Still not as good as on the rocks but it is way too cold for anything on the rocks.  Don't judge.

Yesterday we had bean and corn chili for dinner.  This is one of my many recipes that I don't really follow any particular recipe to make.  Every time I make chili it comes out different but surprisingly the same.  This time I paid attention so I could pass along to others.  I couldn't resist snapping a shot with the chili and a beer in the best beer coozy in the world!  Have you ever seen a beer coozy look all studly with an 80s collar and all?! Cracks me up!  ILL-INI!!!

Bean and Corn Chili


3 dried chiles (I used New Mexican but chipotle would rock.  Let's blame the snow)
4 cloves garlic
1 large onion diced
3 celery stalks chopped (doesn't this feel like deja vu from the last couple recipes)
2-3 carrots peeled and chopped
1 green pepper diced
1/2 cup mushrooms chopped
1.5 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
salt/pepper
1.5 Tbsp tomato paste
1.5 cups chicken broth (there I go cheating again)
1/3 cup brown lentils (I just love lentils and couldn't help myself - totally optional if you have the restraint)
15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
15 oz can pinto beans drained and rinsed (sure throw them in the same colander, go wild)
2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn


First off put about a cup and a half of water in a bowl and zap for 4-5 minutes until boiling (or go old school and use tea kettle).  Put whole dried chiles in water, weight with small plate and let rehydrate about 5 minutes. Chop the veggies... come back and slice off top of chile, throw them in a blender with about 1/2 cup chile water and the garlic, blend until as smooth-ish. 

In soup pot preheat on medium high.  Add 1-2 tbsp olive oil and saute onion adding salt and pepper.  Add carrot, celery, and pepper and cook a couple minutes.  Add chile blend stir about 30 seconds.  Add tomato paste and seasoning stir about a minute.  Add broth, lentils, beans, and tomatoes stir.  Bring to simmer, lower heat to med-low and cover.  Cook for about an hour or more until lentils are cooked.  Add corn and warm through another couple minutes.  

C's family got me into having chili on macaroni.  It is tasty.  I also add shredded cheddar cheese but guess what, C doesn't.  I love him but sometimes feel sorry for him.  To go through life hating cheese must be such a bummer don't you think?  Guess what, it wasn't hot enough for him so he added hot sauce.  I did too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment