May 16, 2011

Sausage, Spinach, and Leek Turnover


I have had a PILE of magazines next to my bed collecting dust.  Finally, I am taking time to read flip through them.  The night before Emily's birthday I stumbled on this recipe from Cooking Light.  They were coming over for dinner and I knew I must make them!


Lemme tell you they were really good and pretty doable on a weeknight if you buy ready-made crust.  I do think they are still fancy enough to make on the weekend too. Who am I kidding?  My weeknight food isn't much different from my weekend food.




Being oddly out of onions I used the leek I had sitting around doing a whole lot of nothing.  Random.  It worked really well but I doubt that will ever happen again in my lifetime since a) I never run out of onions and b) I hardly ever buy leeks.


It was C's birthday the week prior and Em is super crafty as seen here.  She made him his very own Angry Birds.  If you don't know what Angry Birds is, Google it and enjoy. [btw - word to the wise, although impossible to resist, it is usually best to not Google things Jon Stewart says to Google on Daily Show.]  Anyway, LOVE the birds almost as much as Z!


Back to these here pockets.  The filling is chicken sausage, leek, garlic, red pepper, red potato, spinach, spices, and then finished with fresh basil.  Fantabulous!  Then you divide the dough in fourths and  reroll out into circles.  Fill, fold, and seal.  Instant hit!  Em brought a salad which was the perfect accompaniment.


Even better than the salad was the strawberry rhubarb pie she made.  It was a dough-lightful evening haha! Truth be told we geeked out taking pictures of the turnovers and the pie.  We are taking a photgraphy class together Sat morning. Can't Wait!  My Aunt Susan always swears by manual focus.  I finally slowed down and manually focused on this picture of pie.  I see the value for sure.  Thanks for the tip!

Sausage, Spinach, and Leek Turnover from Cooking Light Magazine.   The only changes I made were to double the recipe, add 3 cloves of crushed garlic, and sub leeks for onion.

3 comments:

  1. Going M.R. with the recipe substitution, eh? Just kidding: Yours sounds too logic. Can't wait for next Sunday's pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what you did with the camera but the food all looked scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mom and Dad! Yep going rogue with the subs! :) Mom, Emily took the finished turnover pictures with the cute napkin. Way to Go! I took the rest. I think the lighting was good and we snapped a LOT of pictures.

    ReplyDelete