February 4, 2011

What's your song?

Today my good friend and colleague, Ben, was telling me about the movie Blue Valentine.  I guess there's a scene where the main couple determine what "their song" is and then another scene where the song is playing but they are breaking up.  Apparently, quite depressing material.

It got me thinking, though, about music.  As Ben was talking about the movie moment I immediately flashed back to how C and I found our song.  It is Ray Charles "What would I do without you."  Heard of it?  Ray Charles rocks! Take a listen below...

Our story is pretty simple but quite nice.  C and I were hanging out listening to music and most likely drinking wine.  This was back in Chicago many moons ago.  I can't remember if we were in our apt or condo. I think condo.  C put in his box set of Ray Charles and this song came on.  We both just stopped talking and listened to it.  That was it.  We both knew.  A few years later we danced to it at our wedding.

I remember back in high school I bought The Best of Simon and Garfunkel on CD.  I had it playing in the living room and went up to my bedroom.  I lost track of time (shocker).  My dad and J-Mo have a tri-level and the hallway on the top floor looks down on the main floor.  I was walking from my bedroom to the bathroom and Bridge Over Troubled Water was playing. My dad and J-Mo were dancing in the living room.  Very sweet moment.  I decided it was their song.  Not sure what it really is.  

What's your song?  Is there a story?

2 comments:

  1. My and Jeni's song is Bob Seger's "Night Moves".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete and my song is "Our way to Fall" by Yo La Tango. Similar story, and we also danced to it at our "Weaving." Thanks for the inspiration to think of it. :) We need to start playing it again!

    ReplyDelete