August 2, 2011

Dilly Beans


Hi.  Is it really August?  That's not right.  Ok I'll spare you my blathering on about how time flies and revisit the weather ups and downs.  Today I made Dilly Beans.  They taste just like they sound and then some!



In late June we went to our farmers market and had a lovely time.  We went after lunch and realized that it would rock to go for lunch should we ever return.  I am pleased to report we ventured back yet again.  This time for lunch and goodies from the farmers.


What did I get?  Well, for dinner I got about the last thing you'd think of when you think of farmers market, steak and potatoes!  Free Range grass fed steak and fingerling potatoes (yep, that's how I roll).  Nope, I am definitely NOT going to post about it.  Yummy meal but no pix = no post.  I have trouble getting my act together sometimes...



I digress... where was I?  Oh farmers market and on to my point!  I had this delicious veggie quesadilla from one of the venders, Patty Pan.  Not slap some beans and cheese on a tortilla quesadilla.  No sir.  This baby had this wild combo of kale, chard, spinach, carrots, onions, cheese and I have no clue what else.  It was really tasty!  Turns out the owner has a bunch of cookbooks and hosts monthly dinners using food from the market since she can get great deals from the farmers that don't want to bring home any produce.  Was that a run on sentence?  

So now I follow her blog, naturally.  Her first recipe sounded scrumptious and I had to check it out.  They taste like pickled green beans and would be a great side for any picnic.  Matter of fact, we rode our bikes to a park with Z and made a picnic with the dilly beans and a roast chicken.  Enjoy!


Dilly Beans
recipe from The Quirky Gourmet

2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 onion sliced
3-4 cloves garlic crushed
salt
1/2 cup red or white vinegar 
1/2 cup water
1 lb green beans trimmed and cut into 1-2 inch pieces

Heat the olive oil in a medium-size saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, salt and dill. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the vinegar and water and bring the mixture to a boil.

Add the green beans. Cook for about 12-15 minutes, stirring often so all of the green beans come into contact with the liquid.  They change color to look like canned green beans.  That's the pickled look!


Can serve at any temp.




No comments:

Post a Comment